Magics are specific ways to create magical effects from mana.
Each different magic must be learnt separately, but if the creature
can use multiple magics, he may combine them. Please note that some
examples are tied to fantasy world Tanion.
In practice, all magical effects are unique and created for the given
situation. Most magicians create magical effects rarely, and character
magicians should not be a exception to this. Only master magicians can
create effects again and again, and even they do it rarely. Mana is
scarce in many locations, and playing with spirits and mana flows is
not the safest thing in the world.
Most of the magical effects are created specifically for the
situation. As an general rule, no two spells are identical,
each spell has unique elements, and if directly copied, quite probably
will not work when re-used.
Most magical effects require mana, which must be first gathered by
drawing it from some sources. Without mana, the magician can only
create common knowledge effects, which depend only on runes and kills
of the magician, and these effects have nothing magical on them. They
are especially marked.
Duration, Range, Area of Effect
As each spell is usually an unique, duration, range and area depend on
specific casting and ritual done. And of course from mana used in the
spell. Any spell that does not have an instant effect becomes an
, binding the mana into it and feeding from it. Such
enchantments can usually be dispelled with appropriate spells.
Different magical effects are usually divided into 4 levels:
- Simple effects are common magical effects performed by all the
practioners of the given magic.
- Basic effects are harder, but still quite simple
effects. Performing of these effects usually require a short
ritual or similar work.
- Advanced effects are usually quite complex to do and only
master magicians can generate these without extensive rituals,
preparations and foci.
- These hard and complex effects are usually done in a great
rituals or by very mighty magicians with extensive
Those magical effects described after each magic are only
. Players are free to invent new effects fitting to the
theme of the magic.
Most magics rely on some focus, material components, rituals and
actions. The exact components required are described in each magic,
but in general, only skillful magicians can ignore them.
Each specific magical effect is more easier to create with just the
right magical components. The exact componentns must be tried, but the
magician can use his general knowledge to make a good quess. For
example, to call a spirit of the oak, an oakleave may be appropriate.
As skill with selected magics grow, the magician can create more
powerful and efficient effects. No magic can be used without skill.
- The character can create simple effects of selected magic, and
with extra practise and rituals, may succeed to create basic
effects. In very rare occassions, with rare and powerful
components, a skilled magician can create advanced effects.
In addition, the magician can work as an acolyte for more
powerful rituals, but cannot normally lead them.
- The character can create simple effects practically without
chance for failure, and may ignore foci most of the
time. Basic effects are easily generated, and with proper
materials and correct rituals, advanced effects may be tried.
The character can also lead extensive ritual althought is not
good at it. To do master rituals, long preparations, materials
and acolytes are needed.
- The character is master of basic magics and can create simple
and basic effects usually without need of any materials or
foci. Advanced effects can be created with proper materials
and rituals, and master rituals done with proper help and
- Grand Master
- The character is the arch-wizard, master-necromancer or shaman
lord. He can create any simple, basic or advanced effect
practically without any chance to fail and in lesser time and
materials, usually without any foci. He can lead master
rituals or create fast master effects.
This is not a standard magic per se
, but meta or pure magic. It
is used as base for other magics, but is not mandatory. It handles the
pure flows of mana, binds and unbinds the flows of mana and creates
voids of mana.
Primal magic uses no foci, except meditation or gestures and sound.
Primal magic can only draw upon free magic flow. Such places are quite
rare and usually very previous, but not very stable. A magician
building his tower on a high-mana area may find the mana flow long
gone when the tower is ready.
- Detect Mana
- The magician can cause flow of mana to illuminate other mana
around him. The total area of effect is mainly dependent on
the mana pumped into effect.
- The magician can now disrupt the spell-casting of the other
creature by ripping the magical effect into pieces while it
is being cast. Of course, the opponent may then try to patch
the effect at the same time.
- Bind Effect
- Magical effects can now be made more permanent by binding them
with mana into objects or creatures, creating
- Unbind Mana
- Likewise, the magician can release mana from bindings,
effectually dispelling magical enchantments.
- Drain Mana
- The magician can now drain mana from other creatures as they
handle it. In the other words, they may counter a spell just
being cast and drain the mana on it to their own use. This
usually requires some mana and great skill. Likewise, the
magician can now drain mana directly from bind effects,
effectually dispelling them.
- Mana Barriers
- The magician can now create magical barriers from mana that
prevent flows of mana past them. This way it is possible to
create areas with no mana and barriers that prevent magical
effects from penetrating.
- Mana Voids
- It is now possible to create mana barriers that drain all mana
within to enforce themselves, creating total mana emptiness
- Usually a magical effect affects either the spirit world or
the normal world. With very advanced magics, the barrier
between the worlds can be practically removed.
This is the most 'educated' magic. It is taught by the wizards of the
eastern civilization and high elven lords. It is a very versatile
magic, combining different elementals and powers into varying
effects. On the other hand, it is also very spectacular, obvious and
Sorcery magic uses powerful power words and magical phrases, in
addition to some hand gestures to create magic effects. For rituals,
long chants or power words are performed.
Sorcery draws the mana all around, even from binded sources. This is a
stressful action unless flows of free mana is freely available. For a
very powerful effects, mixed sacrifices, material components and
strange magical sources are used.
- The magician creates a short spark in his fingertip.
- Flame Barrier
- The sorceror can create a barrier of blazing flames. This barrier
can be a wall of up to 5-10 meters or a circle around the
caster, with diameter up to 10 meters. Flames will rise to
one meter or so.
- The magician uses the his powers to float in the air, slowly
but steadily. Concentration is required, magician cannot
fight at the same time.
- Lightning Bolt
- The magician creates a short surge of power from his
fingertips. This lightning bolt is shot against any target
near the magician, causing burn damage.
- Portal Between the Worlds
- The sorceror creates a shimmering portal like a doorway into
the air. Anyone stepping through enters the spirit world,
whereas the portal is also seen. Likewise, anything from
spirit world may step across the portal to enter the normal
world. The duration for the portal is dependent on casting,
but usually a few hours.
- Scrying Pool
- The sorceror can see distant places and incidents from the
surface of an enhanced pool. These visions can be inaccurate,
and they may come from future or from past, nothing is sure.
- This allows the sorceror to take another form, shrinking into
a small mouse or becoming a mighty dragon. The spell or
ritual is much harder the more the new shape varies from
- Conjure the Powers Beyond
- With this ritual, the sorceror can call entities from the
outermost reaches of the spirit world. It is usually used
to call for mighty demons, which are of the more powerful
spirits most interested to enter the normal world. This
ritual usually grants no special powers over spirit conjured.
- With this spell, the sorceror may petrificate (turn to stone)
the target creature with a weave of hand and specific
power words. This usually requires lots of mana and practise.
The other vast known and performed magic is illusionary magic, playing
with the minds and senses of the ignorants.
As sorcery, illusionists use powerful power words and magical phrases,
in addition to some hand gestures to create magic effects. For rituals,
long chants or power words are performed. Unlike in sorcery, these
power words are usually silent whispers and more subtle.
As with sorcery, illusionists draw the mana all around, even from
binded sources. This is a stressful action unless flows of free mana
is freely available. On the other hand, illusions need very little
- Visionary Effect
- The illusionist can create a short visual effect.
- Cover of the Ignorance
- The illusionist can cover his presence from normal creatures
in the normal world, they simple are not interested. Very
observant creatures may accidentally notice the illusionist,
as would anyone really interested to see the illusionist. So
this cover is not efficient to go through a guarded gate,
unless other people all the time walk through it.
- Simple Trick of the Mind
- The illusionist creates a simple illusion into mind of the
target creature. This illusion is usually very simple and very
determined creature is hard to affect.
- Rite of the Hidden Presence
- With this ritual, the illusionist may hide a place from those
not really interested on it. People just walk past it and no
creature wander into area.
- Wall of Will
- The illusionist creates an invisible barrier that requires
strong will to cross, and normal creatures do not even try
unless thay have a good reason to try to cross it. Each
attempt is harder, but each succeed to cross it makes the
next try easier.
- Dreams of the Unwary
- The illusionist enters dreams of the subject and can alter and
change them. He can cause them to lead into certain
destination, and can change them into semireal, causing
possible damage to subject.
The druidic magic, magic of the nature, gains its power from the
nature and generates natural effects, linked to life. To be able to
use druidic magic, the magician must have become one with the nature,
respecting it. Those not able to do that become defilers
As being close to nature, the druid needs something alive, something
fresh to create magical effects. The druid is most powerful in the
fresh forest and weakest in the caves and barren deserts, being
completely helpless in constructed dungeons and castles.
The druid draws his power from living things, especially from plants
and trees. If drawn strongly in areas with weak growth, the drawing
might kill the plants, and this is avoided by all druids.
- Commune with Animals
- The druid can approach and speak simply with an animal that
is neutral or friendly to the druid. The communication is
quite limited, and animal is not obligated to tell anything,
but most natural animals are usually friendly to the druid.
- Predict Weather
- With some mystical auras, rhymes and sniffing the air, the
druid can predict the weather accurately. Only a little mana
is needed for that, without mana, it is only a good quess.
- Animate Plants
- Trees, grass, roots, vines and other plants can be animated to
do simple things like to grab something. Alternatively, the
druid may separate dirt from water, for example.
- Heal a Wound
- The druid can cause small wounds to close, bones to rejoin and
scars to disappear. This usually requires certain herbs,
magical drawings and some time.
- Essence of a Beast
- The druid can become strong as a bear, fast as a rabbit,
keensighted as an eagle or agile as a cat. Normally this
effect is only a short one, and people close to druid may see
short apparition of that animal, or the druid may even
partly metamorph into it for a very brief moment. The druid
gains enhanced attributes for this short period.
- Summon Animals
- The druid can call for animals within a few kilometers to come
to him. These animals are not automatically friendly or
hostile, but easily change favor if given any reason to. The
druid may call for specific animals if need to.
- Ward of the Mother Nature
- The druid can create a mystic ward (usually a circle) of
ancient runes, preventing any natural from crossing this ward.
With mana, this warding can have mystical strength.
- Form of the Nature's Child
- The druid can shapeshift into any natural animal. This
shapeshift is so powerful that normal trappings of the
druid are also shapeshifted with him.
- Reanimate a Dead Plant
- The druid can bring life back to a dead plant, and animate or
grow it. The druid can cause wooden doors to grow shut, wooden
walls to twist and collapse or bow to bend useless.
- The Regrown Life
- With this ritual, the druid may cause a lost limb to
regrow. If the wound has already healed naturally, the loss is
permanent and this ritual cannot help.
- Rage of the Earth
- The druid can cause earth to rumble, to shake and to quake,
creating ravines and collapsing buildings. Creatures in area
may fall into the ravines, which may randomly close and open.
To create an earhquake, a few minute ritual with chants,
drawings etc. are usually needed.
- Rite of the Rebirth
- With this long and tasking ritual, the druid can call for the
spirit of the deceased, and with power gained, it will enter a
still living body. Unless there is a fresh corpse, the spirit
will try to possess and merge into life of the some simple
creature near to its current location, and may cause dead
person to return as an animal.
- Will of the Woods
- The druid can cause forest around him to lead creatures
travelling in it to arrive or avoid certain place within
woods. This effect can be specified to certain person or
creatures by having something representing subjects. The
enchantment stays until the ritual or concentration ends.
Defiler is a druid that does not have a respect for a nature but
unmercifully exploits its powers for his own needs. A defiler has no
new powers to druids, but can draw mana much more effectually, because
he does not try preserve life in weak beings. On the other hand, a
defiler has no animal friends
. All animals summoned by a defiler
are either neutral or hostile, and he can befriend only unnatural
animals. In addition, all forms taken with shapeshift are usually much
more fearsome and are shunned by the creatures of the same type.
This strange telepathic magic is mainly taught and performed by the
High Monks of the Mountains. It normally requires a long and hard
apprenticeship to learn mindpowers, and inner peace and strength must
be first reached.
Mindpowers are invoced with meditation or short concentrations of mind
and yell, requiring usually high willpower and endurance.
The mana and power for effects usually come from the mind of the
mindmage. This is very stressful and draining, and possible only for
those with high willpower and strength and peace of will.
- The subject affected stops during its action to rethink, if he
really wanted to do that. For this to work, it usually
requires that subject originally thought about the action.
- Inner Peace
- The mindmage may completely separate his thought from the
surroundings, and cannot be disrupted except by extreme means.
- Detect Minds
- The mindmage can sense thoughts around him. He cannot
understand them, but has general idea, where there is intelligent
creatures around him.
- Hurl Away
- The magician can concentrate the mind power to hurl target object
or creature away from himself.
- While meditating, the magician can forget the presence of the
earth and raise into the air, slowly moving around.
- Lift Objects
- The magician can lift objects with pure mind power and move
them around in the air.
- Wandering Mind
- The mindmage can, while meditation, separate his perception
from his body as a flying invisible entity, wander around
perceiving things. This entity can walk through walls and
objects. If disrubted, the perception immediately returns to
the material body.
- Probe the Mind
- The mindmage can enter the mind of the subject and read
thoughts, even memories if careful and knows what to seek.
The mindmage can also cause subject to say things he didn't
meant to say and otherwise force his actions, but this
requires intense concentration and usually causes subject
- The mindmage can foretell actions of the creatures around
him, giving him superior advantage in melee combat and
defense against all attacks possible to dodge.
The magic performed by the shamans of the barbaric tribes is strongly
tied to the Spiritworld. The shamans are usually in narcotics and
hallucinogens, and may become possessed by wandering spirits.
Shamans utilize small bones, burning exotic herbs and low singing.
The main power of the shamans come from their power to create items
with bind spirits.
With meditation and tapping to spirit life of animals, plants and
nature, the shaman can slowly drain power to create spells.
- Spirit Sight
- The shaman enhances his vision to see into spirit world. This
lasts as long as the shaman concentrates.
- Call Spirits
- The shaman calls a certain type of spirit from area close to
him. The spirit is completely free to choose to come or not to.
- Banish Spirit
- The shaman can now force materialized spirit to return to
the spirit world. A stronger one may try to resist, especially
if they possess magical powers.
- Enter the Spiritworld
- The shaman can now leave the known world and step into the
spirit world. This usually requires about an minute of
meditation with eyes closed and then a step forward... when
in the spirit world, the shaman must use same way to return
to the known world, but he must be near the known world,
return from spirit realms is not so simple.
- Visions Beyond
- The shaman can throw herbs and bonedust into a bonfire,
creating dreamlike visions from things that has happened, will
happen or is currently occuring. Visions are usually strongly
tied to people watching them or place the ritual is performed.
- Bind Spirit
- The shaman can now bind a willingful spirit into an item. Most
spirits require a gift or service in return, and not all
spirits can be bind. For more about items with bind spirits,
see magic items in fantasy trappings.
- Summon Spirit
- The shaman can now call for specific type of spirit, and the
spirit is forced to come.
- Rite of the Spirit Awakening
- This ritual is used to awaken the sleeping spirit of the
- Rite of the Rebirth
- With this ritual, the shaman calls for the spirit of the
fallen creature. If the spirit is still present, it now can
return to possess its original body and return to life.
Usually known as dark magic, evil magic or unholy magic, this foul
form of magic concentrates on spirits of the dead, darkness, decay and
hopelesness. It is usually forbidden art of magics, and performers of
it are usually burned as witches.
The necromancy feeds from darkness and evil spirits. Usually any
effect loses its power in the next sunrise, and in any case power
fades much more rapidly while exposed to brigh light, especially to
Necromancery uses blood, pain, darkness, death, misery and dark
rituals to invoke its power.
Necromancers draw power from decaying bodies, free souls and
especially from blood and sacrifices. When necromantic magic is used
or power drawn, creatures close to effect usually feel a sudden chill
and shadows darken.
- The necromancer can little enhance scary things. The darkness
can be a bit darker, the silence a bit more silent or
voices a bit more threatening.
- Detect Evil
- Concentrations of the evil and unholy powers can be detected
within close vicinity.
- Animate Dead
- The necromancer can give a dead body power to do as he
animated it to do. This created automaton has no thoughts, no
will of its own and acts as the necromancer it telepathically
- Call Evil
- A call to evil spirits can be made, but the necromancer has no
special control over evil invoked. With proper knowledge and
foci, the necromancer has more control over what is called.
- Drain Life
- The necromancer can drain life from any living creature,
transforming it to mana and personal strength.
- Wards Against the Evil
- As the necromancer knows the evil wards, he also can create
wardings to prevent evil and unholy creatures or spirits from
entering. These wards must usually must be directed at
specific types of foul creatures, and not many necromancers
know wards against more powerful creatures. The time needed is
usually is usually linked to the drawing or carving time, mana
also must be bind for more powerful effects.
- Rite of the Dead Awakened
- With long ritual, the necromancer enchants the bodies of the
fallen with evil lesser spirits. The dead awakened is
completely loyal to their master, and do as he wishes, known
telepathically. These dead warriors stay animated until
destroyed or enchantment on each decays, but general power in
the rite can be used to feed more power to them when tried to
be dispelled or the Sun burns their power.
- Spirit Travel
- The necromacer can detach his spirit from material body and
enter the spirit world, wandering there as a free spirit (see
bestiary). If the material body is
lost, the necromancer must find a new host body.
- Trap a Soul
- The necromancer can now trap the soul (part of the spirit) of
the living creature into some kind of container. If set free,
it will immediately try to reunite with rest of the spirit.
No creature without a soul can be resurrected.
- Trap the Spirit of the Dying
- Upon a death of a creature, the necromancer can now trap the
escaping spirit and gain power from it.
- Life in Death
- With this ritual, the necromancer can now reach
immortality. By becoming a lich, he leaves the living
behind and becomes undead. This process is irreversiable, and
requires years of study and gathering specific components.
- Power of the Dead
- A great necromancer can turn living spirits of the creatures
or free spirits into pure power, destroying the spirit
completely, causing the final death as it has faded away.
Demonic powers are special powers of the demons. No normal creature
can learn to use them, but demons can grant these powers to mortals
with possession. Demon avatars are usually called
witches, practising witchcraft
Demonic powers use no foci except a brief concentration and possibly a
hand gesture or stare. The exception to this is long spells that
require various material components and black phrases. Such material
components are always something special and gross, like livers of the
babys killed in their beds or sacrifice of seven virgin maidens.
The power to effects is drawn directly from the demon itself or from
concentrations of evil.
- Visions Beyond
- By staring at the subject, the demon can cause target to
recognize what he is staring at. Of course this is quite
useless unless the demon is shapeshifted or camouflaged.
- The demon can create strange flames from his hands. These
flames do not ignite things but illuminate and can be used to
- Bestow Curse
- The demon can bestow a curse on subject creature. For this to
work, he must first steal something personal belonging to
subject, and must held this item for curse to stay in effect.
- Invisible Manipulation
- The demon can close doors, move chairs or do other poltergeist
activities. Manipulating large or complex objects require
much power and practise.
- Flight of the Body
- The demon can create a potion that allows him to fly and hover
in the air. The maximum speed is about 50 km/h, but
acceleration is not very fast. However, manouverability at
slow speeds is excellent.
- Instant Teleportation
- The demon can instantly teleport from one place to another. He
is transfered into pure power which flies to target location and
reappears there. Possible visible and audible effects depend
on demon, and teleporation is impossible through mana
- The demon can cause distant objects to burst into flames. This
is easier for nonanimated, easily flammable objects than for
- Open the Gates of Hell
- This great ritual is the main goal of the most intelligent
demons. It always requires some special components and timing,
but if successful, opens a dual gateway from the normal world
into the Abyss itself, allowing hordes of demons to enter the
normal world. The durability of the gate is dependent on
timing and components, and only very special gates are open
for longer than a few minutes or hours.
- Warded Area
- The demon can greate an area where no one can enter unless
originally allowed. This area is created with a great ritual
and much power is required, usually drawn from sacrifices or
special items. After creation, this barrier is both a mana
barrier and barrier for creatures and spirits alike.
Back to Index
- RIP Fantasy (c) Kalle Marjola 1997. All rights reserved.