Army of Darkness Card Game:
Rules of Kalle
Kalle Marjola 2006
The official Army
of Darkness Card Game has very lousy rules: complete chaos,
unknown duration, no point. As I own the cards neverthless, this
is a try to make more sensible game out of it. This is very alpha
and there is most probably going to be some changes when this
is tested out a bit more.
This version can be player by any number of players, althought you
would need some extra character cards if there is more than 4
Get rid of die. It is not used.
Remove following cards from the deck: Into the Pit, Ignored!,
Payback's a Bitch, Yer Screwed! (x2), Sucker Punch,
Suck It Up, and I'll Take That.
Following card changes are applied:
- Card texts in all other cards than events are ignored. Only
type and title of the card is relevant.
- Events cannot be played out of turn order even if they say so.
- Events with dice roll success automatically, namely
I'm Bad and Goody-Goody Two-Shoes
- Events cannot affect Necronomicon unless they explicitly state
otherwise. Thus Double-Crossed, It's Back, and S-Mart
cannot affect Necronomicon.
Normal deck and card rules are used.
Everyone gets one character (as good), one random monster in
front of them and 5 hand cards. Ash goes first and so on. Play
proceeds clockwise until someone wins by having a tabled Necronomicon
and required support troops.
During each players turn, the player does following actions:
- Player must play one card (if able) and can play a second
one if so desires. Items, allies and monsters can be played to
any player and player can deliberately empty her hand.
- Attack: if player has any monsters (as good) or allies (as bad)
in front of her, she discard one of them. As an exception,
a good character can instead discard (exactly) 3 monsters
of same name in front of her. The good character can
have other monsters, including other monsters of same name, in
front of her to use this power.
- If player has no monsters in front of her, the player can choose
to either draw one card from the deck or attack one other
character (but good character cannot attack another good
character), which must then discard as if has taken a hit like in
- Take hit: if active player still has any monsters (as good) or allies
(as bad) in front of her, she must discard one tabled item or ally (as
good) or one tabled item or monster (as bad) if able, or if has
neither, one hand card if able.
- If player still has any hand cards and has tabled Necronomicon,
she may win: Good character wins if she has at least
3 tabled allies and no tabled monsters in addition to Necronomicon.
Evil character wins if she has at least 5 tabled monster
of different names and no tabled
allies in addition to tabled Necronomicon.
- If player did not win but has any cards, she draws one card from
the deck. Otherwise the player switched from good to evil or from
evil to good and draws 5 cards.
And that's it! Remember that in this version, Item, Ally and Monster
texts are ignored and no event can be played out of turn order. And if
some player is reduced to no cards, she does not switch side until
at the end of her next turn if still at no cards.