Epic 40k Clarifications
These clarifications are from epic40k Q&A
Sequence of Play
- Reserves must enter play on the turn the dice roll is made
- No rules are for chances in Strategy rating during the game, use
house rules if you need to re-check it from turn to turn.
- On snap-fire, always roll against armour value, even if the
unit snap-firing has anti-tank weapons.
- Round firepower on assault orders up or down but be consistent
(editor's note: we use mathematical rounding)
- If both players pass shooting, the phase ends.
- Order for actual shooting is: (editor's note: not official)
- Calculate raw firepower and SHWs firing. Barrage and heavy barrage
is counted as normal firepower
- Place blast markers according to 1.
- Reduce firepower and SHWs for blast markers in unit.
- Halve firepower and roll for locking for Assaulting detachment.
- Look at the firepower table and roll dice
- If firing at several detachments, reduce BMs from selected
- Against 0 assault value, opponent automatically gains +4 modifier
(unless has assault value 0, too!)
- No LOS is required for close support or participating firefight
- If infantry disembarks from transport at the assault phase, reduce
this 5cm after doubling the movement.
- Infantry cannot double its movement unless it enters melee.
Super Heavy Weapons
- Each blast marker in a unit stops one super-heavy weapon from
- If the detachment has both normal firepower and super heavy weapons, it
may reduce firepower from blast markers from either, as it sees fit,
as long as all blast markers are reduced. Thus detachment with 4
firepower, 4 super heavy weapons and 6 blast markers may fire with
either 2 firepower or 2 super heavy weapons.
- Normal barrage marker is only used to determine firepower of the
attack, so it is not important what lies under it.
- Each blast marker prevents one barrage weapon from shooting, thus
preventing the entire amount of firepower from it.
- Heavy barrage is handled as is normal barrage except for double
firepower and loading time.
- Mega cannot, when firing, places one blast marker for each shot
and blast markers normally from super heavy weapons. Thus 4
mega-cannons put 5 blast markers on target unit.
- If a war engine has close combat weapon and is fighting another
and wins, the loser automatically suffers Catastrophic value,
regardless of whether any close combat hits are scored.
- All intercept missions are completed before any flyer is "on the
- Each interceptor may shoot at whichever flyer it likes.
- A damaged flyer can't fly missions on its own, unless there is
only damaged flyers in the detachment.
- Rampaging units in base-to-base contact with enemy are
always destroyed if they lose the close combat; rampaging
units further away may retreat as normal.
- Rampaging units always roll two dice in melee, even if they lose.
- If a transport is destroyed, infantry with save gains that
additional save if they are going to be destroyed (roll 1,2 or 3)
- For pop-up attacks, there is no height limit, unless house rules
otherwise state (editor's note: we use 20 cm).
- Only units that yet has not fired may fire back the pop-up
- Infiltrators add +30 cm for their first move, even if they are
transported to table with drop pods or transports during later turns.
Scenario Special Rules
- If the detachment has odd units, rounding can be to either
direction, but again, be consistent. (editor's note: we use
rounding up, so detachment with 3 units loses morale when 2 units has
- If 'upgrading' an infantry unit to other unit like battletank or
bikes, use new stats with any special abilities noted on the force
- Only one of the designated HQs is 'HQ' at the start of the
game. If it is destroyed, either remaining takes over.
- Rough Riders have assault ability. They can also be always taken
as support units, regardless of type of HQ.
- Rough Riders cannot take a psyker, it is not a typo.
- Only one unit may include the Commissar
- Support weapon is identical to marine support weapon
- Rhino or land raider may transport 2 units of terminators, unless
house rules modify this.
- Any marine unit can be commander for the detachment for +25
- the Farseer cost 75 points as detachment commander (50+25). As a
supreme commander, he is 50 points.
- If assault special ability is combined with heavy weapons, change
the range to 45cm, add +1 to firepower but halve unit's assault value
before adding +1.
- Pulsar count as 1 super heavy weapon for blast markers, and is
prevented with 1 blast marker. It also has firepower 1 in close
- Fire Prism hits on a 4+ in flak.
- Commander for detachment can be any unit at +25 cost.
- Chaos cultists support weapons are identical to Imperial Guard
- Nurgle Engines cost 31 pts.
Updated 5.12.97 - index page